Several of my clients ask me concerning the big square box in the center part of the house’s upper floor ceiling behind a collection of self-closing louvers. It’s an entire house fan and it will either benefit home owners or make living conditions worse.
* Preferably mild climates with cooler and much less humid nights
* Make use of it only if the temperature and humidity outside is more favorable in comparison to the conditions indoors. If your air conditioning system has been operating through the day, along with the temperature outside drops lower (nevertheless the humidity remains high), don’t turn the Tumblr. The vent will suck all the humid air into the air conditioned house
* The best time periods to utilize it could be, naturally, morning hours and evening
If you suffer from allergies, it is probably not a good idea to bring every one of the pollution in to the house. The window screens will stop some of it, but whole house fans are extremely powerful and forces you to sneeze more than ever before.
1. Before you decide to turn the fan on, open as many doors and windows as possible, close fireplace damper and / or glass door, and shut the furnace / water heater room doors (if they are louver type, it won’t matter). The suction of the whole house fan (at the very least in the highest speed) is really great, that without open windows / doors, it can draw air from the outside through any possible openings like, by way of example, from the chimney. When it is a fireplace chimney and also you don’t remove the ashes… well, it’s going to be a mess. When it is a hot water heater / furnace chimney, it could blow away from the pilots.
2. When things are ready, it is possible to activate the full house fan in most cases throughout the next couple of seconds you must feel lots of exterior air flowing at home. Unless…
3. This part is equally important as opening the doors and windows – both really need to be balanced to work properly to be able to really benefit from the whole house fan operation. The atmosphere drawn with the whole house fan needs to be discharged with the attic vents to the exterior. Otherwise, pressure created in the attic area may cause air which had been just pulled from your house to come back with dust and insulation particles through any possible gaps in the attic wh0le as well as the whole house fan itself.
Regular attic ventilation might not be enough to support the tumblr post operation; you will need considerably more to handle everything that extra level of air for the exterior. Along with the formula to calculate the sq footage of your attic vents necessary to discharge that air is simple. All you need is the size of all your rooms:
Example: your ceilings are 8′ high and you will have four 10′ x 14′ rooms, one 15′ x 17′ room, as well as a 10′ x 3′ hallway (this is just a sample, calculate all of the rooms in your home you believe ought to be covered)
10’x14’x8′ = 1120×4 = 4480
15’x17’x8′ = 2040
10’x3′ = 30
Total – 6550 cubic feet
Now you must to divide 6550 by 750, which equals 8.73 sq feet – here is the portion of the required attic vents (them all combined – soffit, ridge, gable, etc.)
4. In case the house you’re stepping into provides the whole house fan already installed, lets hope it was properly sized up for the purpose (there could be a tag about the unit itself), which is to replace your property air within only a few minutes.
5. If you’re the one installing the whole house fan, consider 3 or 4 minutes as being an optimal time to the house air exchange. To accomplish this, you’d need to divide your home total air volume (6550 cubic feet from my sample) by 3 or 4 minutes. That may provide us with 1810 CFM / 1357.5 CFM (Cubic Feet a minute).
6. Yet another critical thing: louvers of your Tumblr are not air tight and get no insulation applied on their surface; they leak air between the house and attic. I would personally highly recommend installing a complete house fan cover in attic area to avoid air drafts through the cold season – don’t forget to remove it before you make use of the fan again.
Whole house fans are noisy and a lot of people never utilize them, nonetheless they might benefit your wallet in the event you apply all of the above. There are actually currently other sorts of house ventilation systems available: they cost more (2 – three times) but very quiet, more effective, and give air circulation for longer time periods.